What was this made in?
HERO - A Game About Password Security
A downloadable game for Windows
In a world where your digital identity is everything from your social life to your career, protection is important. Yet in 2015, statistics show that 21% of people use 10-year-old passwords, 47% use 5-year- old passwords, and 73% of online accounts use passwords that are used in multiple sites*. With this short game, I hope to raise awareness of a very prevalent security flaw that many people still have today.
In HERO, you are the brave hero called "HERO" who must save the village from the "Bad Codes", the embodiment of poor password ethics. Can you save the village and defeat the "Bad Codes"? This game has an overall theme of password security, with the goal to teach anyone at least something about using and making secure passwords.
This game was created with RPG Maker MV for educational purposes, and used some assets collected from the Creative Commons search that are credited in the Credits section. If you encounter any problems, please share in the comments! :)
Move: Arrow Keys
Action: Z, Enter, Space
Cancel/Back: X, Esc, Num Pad 0
Menu: X, Esc, Num Pad 0
Move: Left Click
Action: Left Click Target
Cancel/Back: Right Click
Menu: Right Click
Move: Tap Destination
Action: Tap Target
Cancel/Back: Tap with two fingers
Menu: Tap with two fingers
A Few Tips
- Your mission is to defeat the leader of the "Bad Codes" in the forest to the right of the village.
- You start out when some potions and ethers - the very beginning of the game is probably the hardest since you're a low level, so use them!
- You can buy more supplies from the vender next to all the boxes.
- Talk to everyone! You may learn something or find something...ajar.
- "Safe Modes" teleport you back to the town, use them when you feel you need to heal and avoid a game over (you will later unlock portals so you won't have to walk back every time).
- Use skills! You start out with one, but it can be a lifesaver!
* Okyle, Carly. "Password Statistics: The Bad, the Worse and the Ugly (Infographic)." Password Statistics: The Bad, the Worse and the Ugly (Infographic). Entrepreneur, 3 June 2015. Web. 20 Oct. 2016.
*Due to issues with software deployment, a Mac download is unavailable. I apologize for the inconvenience :(
Extract the zip file and open the "Game.exe" file
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.